Obviously it's been a long time since I've written. I love to write. I am always churning, processing, and reflecting on the things I learn from God's word as well as news stories and my personal experiences. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with thoughts that I just have to fall asleep for a break (and sometimes the thinks prevent sleep...). When I write, I love uninterrupted time to put all my thoughts down, organize them, and take time to hit the thesaurus to make sure I convey the exact right meaning which I intend to communicate. However, being a stay-at-home mom has taught me that interruptions are a part of life. A dominant part of life in my case.
With that said, I have been rather inflexible and unwilling to compromise my writing process. Indeed I developed it over many years. Hello, I'm a binge writer, and I can't quit. When I can't complete a blog post, it simply is banished to the realm of Drafts. I simply can't pick up where I left off because I can't return to my previous frame of mind. This may be a major weakness. Just imagine authoring a book~ it would take a miracle for me to do that in my lifetime!
So here's my problem. For nearly a year now, in the quietest of moments God has been calling me to write. It happens when I'm at church. It happens when I'm folding laundry. It happens as I'm taking children upstairs for nap time. It happens when I lay down at night, and I know I let another day pass in which I didn't write. He doesn't belabor the point when he speaks to me. He always whispers, "Write!" The initial effect of this entreaty is quite motivating.
Yet beyond my writing method, I have been uncertain what precisely is to be my subject. Who am I writing to or for? I have used this an excuse, saying, "God, I'll write if you tell me what to write. God, I'll write if you tell me who my audience is. God, I'll write if the kids nap for 2.5 hours today..." The list goes on.
Then I read that Moses, Elijah, Jonah, Jeremiah, Peter, Gideon, Barak, and Zechariah (John the Baptist's father) all had times where they were reluctant to follow the call God had given them. I'm sure this is a short sampling of the people God has asked to believe in him and to do his will who had reservations at times. Yet in spite of their own feelings or desires, they chose to obey. They didn't do it alone; God enabled them to do the tasks each were given.
So I suppose this is me saying: God, I want to obey you. I thank you that you have not stopped leading me to write when I may have let it fall by the wayside in this season of life. Help me write in a way that gives you the glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment