And as this classic 80s hit goes, fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa better / run run run run run run run away / *lots of "ohs" and "ays". Tell me your not a Talking Heads fan. Well, this charming little ditty got stuck in my head as I sat down to tell you about jogging. I have been a fairly consistent jogger for some years now; I first hit the pavement on a regular basis back in the summer of 2005. My big sister was getting married in August, so in May I decided I wanted to rock my bridesmaid dress with a slimmer figure. My routine back in those days was running 3 miles 3 days a week. Here's how that turned out...
 |
| I can't believe I'm sharing this~bleh! This was a meatier me in December of 2004 trying on the bridesmaid dress style KHud chose. |
 |
| August 2005 I was sporting a leaner look with what appears to be a suntan that can only be a precursor to melanoma. My sisters are pretty! |
|
Since those days, I have depended on my physical fitness routine to help me with stress management and chronic back pain from a number of car accidents (3) and one Harold accident (the Buck Buck story~ I've never shared that one on the blog...). Kyle and I employed this running method to get fit for our wedding back in 2009, and we completed the ING half-marathon together that March. In France it served me in my desire to explore. I would spend hours cruising the trails in the more rural areas around Metz. My jogs took me through mirabelle orchards, a Nazi internment camp, quaint neighborhoods, vast farmland, and shady wooded areas. Jogging became my occupation in the month of August; I ran a total of 51.24 miles just for fun.
 |
| The long & short of Buck Buck~This is my friend Harold. He fell on me, and it hurt. |
 |
| I think my smile is so squinty because Kyle's hair turned neon orange on completing the half-marathon. |
 |
| In memory of speaking French daily~ Je vais faire un jogging! Pretty place to run, n'est-ce pas? |
I really wanted to do another half-marathon and had already mentally planned on one once Kyle and I returned to the U.S. For us, it gives us tons of quality time to talk on runs while we are training, and we ultimately accomplish something really cool together. Have I mentioned that Kyle bakes bread every weekend trying to perfect his French baguette method? That's another reason why this running business needed to be a priority. I got serious about running in November once we were settled in Norcross reaching a new personal record of 55.8 miles in one month! My hopes of maintaining this kind of routine were dashed for a bit in December. I was fearful my plans weren't conducive for pregnancy. I tried to take it easy and only ran around 16 miles in those 4 weeks.
My how the turn tables.... or so says Michael Scott (The Office). Kyle and I went for our first pre-natal visit in December and learned a thing or two. Thanks to my awesome (facetious) blood clotting disorder, it turns out delivering the little Ham baby will have to be
au naturel. Yikes! I did not see that one coming. The epidural is a bit to risky for my kind~cue the tiny violins. Right when I was down in the dumps, our midwife presented the silver lining. Thank the Lord in heaven~they allowed me and even encouraged me to be in tip top shape. I got the green light for the Publix half-marathon in March. Since we are still in the early stages of the pregnancy and baby is the size of a thumb, it's not too difficult for me to keep up the same amount of running I like to do. After we weathered some funky snow storms turning Georgia into an arctic tundra for days, I started my training.
I don't follow a regular plan for training. I like to go out 3 or 4 days a week. Two to three of those runs are anywhere between 3.5 to 4.5 miles. On the weekend, I take my husband out and we do the long distance runs. Last weekend we ran 8, and Sunday we'll run 9. It's really fun. I am so incredibly grateful (and have mentioned it to God a time or two) that I didn't have to give up running for the early part of the pregnancy. After losing coffee, I don't think I could have bore the loss...
I read one fitness friend's blog, and she always ends her entries with a question. I like it a lot (even though I've never responded to her questions~ that's right, I'm a lurking blog stalker).
Anyhow, I was curious. Do you have a fitness routine? If so, what do you do and why do you like it?
I've just spilled the beans about my schedule, and got a bit verbose about how it all began. Look forward to hearing what you do!
5 comments:
Good for you for being so active! I worked out a bit before getting pregnant, but then I got all worried when I was pregnant (and tired). I don't have a fitness routine... well except chasing around a 13.5 month old who gets faster by the day! :-) She has me 10 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight.
I didn't have an epidural (I did have some IV pain meds). I am hoping to go natural when I have another one. You can do it :-) And you really do forget all about it pretty quickly after you are holding that baby!
You inspire me! I've never been much of a fitness person until last September, when I decided too many pounds from two pregnancies needed to come off. My goal was to lose it all before I got pregnant again. Well...I got about 10 lbs down.
Although I am still keeping up (mostly) with my routine. I'm not much of a runner, but I joined a gym last fall and take classes 3-4 times a week there. I also walk/jog on the treadmill. It's great because they have a wonderful childcare right in the gym which was essential to my workout routine! And I feel SO much better than I did with my last two pregnancies. I was not in shape at all, and though I'm still not where I want to be, I feel that it's better than nothing and the more I do now, the better this delivery will be. I'm already maintaining weight instead of gaining a ton like I did before.
As for going natural, I have books on the Bradley method and such if you'd like to look through them. You can do it! :) And I want to say that Carma at church had all 5 kids w/out drugs? I could be wrong...
Hello old friend! I love CrossFit :-) It's something new everyday and it's a balance of cardio, flexibility, and olympic weight lifting.
You can do the natural thing! At least now you know to get ready for it. My friend was told while in labor that she had to go natural and it was a shock since she wasn't expecting that!!! I wish you happy healthy pregnancy! Good luck in March!
Wow, you got in such great shape in such a short time! Did you diet at all in between, or did you just stick with running 3 miles, 3 days each week? It definitely is stress-relieving. :)
Sorry to hear about having to go all natural, but I'm sure you'll rock it. Congrats! You're going to make such an adorable pregnant lady. :)
holy monkey! a forced no epidural!?!?! yikes a moley. i've done it twice without one, but i chose that. i think i would have had a hissy if it was imposed upon me. but then again, anything to make baby safest. you'll be awesome!
Post a Comment